19 January 2007

Rarities & B-sides


The other night at work my friend plugged her ipod in and we listened to some great music. Weirdly enough we have similar strange collections, ranging from the Cure to Ashley Cleveland to Moby. Listening and working, it took me back to high school: to combat boots & long skirts; to thrift-store rummaging on a regular basis (wait, I still do that); to a Midnight Oil concert at Riverport; and to listening to Sinead O'Connor cassette tapes in the parking lot at the academy (one of which included a rap-ish thing about the potato famine in Ireland--whoa) instead of studying for finals.

"Letter to Elise" for some reason reminded me of going down to the Loop when the Starbucks was a dirty and sketchy Dairy Queen, when the Qdoba was a laundrymat. Alas. Now there are places to buy $5 ice cream cones but no peanut buster parfaits to be found anywhere closer than St. Charles Rock Road. Just kidding, I'm being nostalgic for no good reason. I've never actually even eaten one of these and the ol' DQ actually kind of frightens me after an, ahem, episode, shall we say, on a road trip down to Chattanooga some years ago. I digress. For kicks, I listened to Sinead today: "Black Boys on Mopeds." What a great song. She's sassy. I bet she doesn't eat peanut buster parfaits either; she knows better than that.

I'm digging this band in spite of the fact I haven't purchased any of their albums. Yet. If you go to their site, you can automatically listen 4 or 5 songs. They are catchy and nice. Just thought you should know and see for yourself.

I also heard a song by this girl and lots of songs by these guys today, and they were all good.

It is January. Mid to late January, in fact. I can tell by how pale and seasonal affective disorderly I'm becoming. Every time I walk outside, I'm like a mole squinting at the sky and shielding my eyes. Whilst looking for a mole picture to make my point, I found this guy, who is seriously the scariest thing I've seen today, no, perhaps all month. Congratulations, little creature, you win the "involuntary yikes coupled with physical retreat from the computer screen" award. AND, one slightly less scary newsflash: we still have a needle-less Christmas tree sitting in our living room. How's that for delinquency? I'm not that ashamed. At least I got the ornaments off, and unstrung the lights, so we don't burn the whole place down.

Not sayin a whole lot here, but I can't sleep, so I'll keep myself company clickety clacking away at this machine. Good night and good luck, y'all.

7 Comments:

Blogger ButterPeanut said...

I went to a sinead o connor concert last year and the crowd was almost entirely mulleted lesbians and these crazy rastas. With some hippie Christians and university prof types sprinkled in. awesome!

7:51 AM  
Blogger testing123 said...

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/images/chicken%20Mole%20Poblano%202.JPG
Here's a good picture of mole with chicken.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ange, The song "Black Boys On Mopeds" makes me cry:
"Margareth Thatcher on TV
Shocked by the deaths that took place in Beijing
It seems strange that she should be offended
The same orders are given by her
I've said this before now
You said I was childish and you'll say it now
'Remember what I told you
If they hated me they will hate you'
England's not the mythical land of Madame George and roses
It’s the home of police who kill black boys on mopeds.”
And I love my boy and that's why I'm leaving
I don't want him to be aware that there's
Any such thing as grieving.”

Gosh, the passion of her lyrics and the compassion with which she delivers them! That song stirs my heart. I love that you appreciate that song as well as that Cure album! Did you ever get into Morrissey? The Cure reminds me of Morrissey. And I LOVE Morrissey!
Heidi V.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Linz said...

Uh wow oh wow with the little creepy mole guy... thanks for the nightmares.. pom pom.

I mean seriously.

6:02 PM  
Blogger the kitchen gnomes said...

sad little guy...to be so creepy looking.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

i've never actually listened to ashley cleveland's music, but i knew her daughter growing up...she lived in my neighborhood and we would sometimes tromp around the neighborhood together with other kids.
anyway, that is a bit random but i hadn't thought about her in a long time. hope you are well!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Reforming Soccer Mom said...

So, our Christmas tree doesn't have needles anymore either. We shook them all off in the house and now the tree skeleton is our latest yard art...yeah, so we're "those" neighbors.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home