11 April 2007

wisitor, etc.

April has come and gone (not the month, the totally sweet and fun girl), and I am in the sad state that inevitably follows a lovely time with someone you really like who returns to her home in beautiful Portland (the book worked...when can I come?). We had lots of good conversations, some tasty meals out, watched some movies, and went up in the arch.

We also spent some precious time mocking books about relationships, including one specifically on the subject of "small talk" at Borders in the Christian self-help section (just kidding but not really...). It was really great for those of us who don't know how to chat about the lighter subjects, so to speak, like perhaps not sex-trafficking, poverty and development issues, race, religion, politics and marriage. I learned a few things and feel a lot better about future conversations I could hypothetically have. I imagine it might just go like this:


Me: "Did you know that the ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain?? (pause for full effect).... Well, let me tell you, it is!"

Other Person being small talked to (said with astonishment, truly impressed with my wit, flair and brilliantly dramatic delivery): "Where did you learn that fascinating bit of information?!"

Me: "Uh, well, I read about it in a book for social delinquents who don't know how to make small talk. I have no idea where it came from, in fact, they probably just made it up so that I would humiliate myself! I'll just go ahead and stop this wonderful rapport we've got going by letting you know I don't know anything else about ostriches!"

I see my relationship horizons expanding as we speak!

All mocking aside, we did have a nice visit, and I hope she's well and settling back into life and work.


I watched a good film recently. It was called "Shultze Gets the Blues" and the plot key words were: Zydeco, Houseboat, Blues Music, Accordian, and, I might add, German Subtitles. Can it get any better than that? It was sort of meandering and heartfelt, and there was good music throughout the film.


It reminded me a little bit of "Brassed Off" which is probably 10 years old and starred Ewan McGregor. That was a great film--also well-written, good music, sweet love story. I think I even liked it better, although the character of Shultze was very endearing.

I am ready now for spring to return. In the meantime (the stormy cold time), I'm reading an interesting but rather weighty book (not one for small talk) about violence called Trauma & Recovery and am fighting the urge to hibernate again. Soundtrack on shuffle:

Andrew Bird's Armchair Apocrypha


Over the Rhine, Live From Nowhere, Volume 2; listen to "Little Did I Know" on their myspace. It's kickin, decidedly more crunk than Lil Scrappy. Whatever that means.

the innocence mission, we walked in song.

3 Comments:

Blogger Courtney Patch said...

Yes; the book did work:)

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schultz Gets the Blues...sounds like a winner. I'll have to give it a whirl. And I'm with you regarding the weather. COME BACK SPRING!
Heidi V.

1:21 PM  
Blogger April said...

I laughed loudly at the picture of an ostrich face...it was funny, because I'm at work, and well, there was true humor in the moment for me.
I had such a lovely time with you all...Portland is ready for you to visit...come come come!!! I'll be here probably until around Oct.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home