09 June 2007

Morogoro Seminar

Been a bit too busy to email and update, but things are going well here. Today is the last day of sessions during the first workshop. Tomorrow we will have a big ceremony at the church and a celebration meal. Overall, I have been having a hard but wonderful time. I'll have to share some more reflections when I can go to a cafe to hook up my laptop.

It has been an interesting few days in my mind of cultures clashing--that is the culture of God's kingdom vs the culture of man. We've talked a lot about how we cannot change without the Holy Spirit helping us, but that requires surrender. When it comes down to it, we all have idolatry of the heart in one way or another, and have to wrestle with why we continue doing things that hurt us, why we choose sin when deep down we know God's way is safer, healthier, better in every way??

I have a billion things floating around my mind right now. I'm thinking about how amazing it is to see the Peacemaking curriculum applied to the issues of stigma with AIDS (kristin, beth, sarah--I want to talk to you so bad!! You're going to love this!). I'm thinking that it is astounding to hear that the G8 summit decided on $60 billion worth of aid for Africa to deal with AIDS, tb and malaria. I'm thinking about how political the issue of AIDS is--how little the people in the villages actually see of the aid money, how much of it is lost in bureaucracy and programs that distribute condoms, but don't deal with heart issues, deal with the unspoken aspects of the disease. God, give us wisdom.

On another note, the people here have been a blessing as I begin to know them even a little bit. I have more thoughts on that, but it will have to wait.

Pictures coming, hopefully.

2 Comments:

Blogger Linz said...

Just a comment to say I miss you and to further complicate our pending walk in forest park, I am going to Switzerland for work starting the 15th of June. Yipes. Miss you praying for you and you are my hero.

11:55 PM  
Blogger angela said...

CRIMINY! there's a song you'd like on my TZ mix. just have to say that even in tanzania sometimes you need heavy blankets. miss you!

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home