24 September 2007

There's a new movie coming out about human trafficking called Trade. I watched the trailer for it this morning and have been sort of undone since. Be prepared if you watch this....it's a bit intense.

Here's the New York Times article that inspired it. Warning, this, too, is disturbing, heart-breaking and graphic.

At the L'Abri conference I attended this past February, they talked about the connection between the story of John Newton's conversion and legacy fighting to abolish slavery in Britian and the need for people to stand up against human trafficking and the sex slave trade. I pray daily for my friends working in Bolivia and Kolkata and for the women that they know who have been rescued from and are still trapped in prostitution. But this morning is a reminder that today....in our "one nation under God," in our neighborhoods, these atrocities are happening.

So. I'm trying to keep perspective, but feel kinda overwhelmed. God, transform us into a people who call on your Spirit to give us holiness, power and obedience.

Amazing grace...with some lesser known verses and my emphasis.

Amazing grace-- how sweet the sound!
That saved a wretch
That saved a wretch
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found
Was blind but now I see.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already
Have already
have already come.
Tis grace that brought me safe thus far
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope
His word my hope
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life
And mortal life
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger April said...

yes, i'm familiar with that movie. he did a short film also that we previewed while i was working in portland. we'd wanted to do a release night of Trade and use it to increase awareness in Oregon,but i left. :)

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home