01 June 2006

Shakespeare, thou hast revealed my true self

Last night I went to Shakespeare in the Park. There was the tail end of rrrrraucous afternoon storminess, humid beginning of summer end of spring-ishness in the air, which made the play's mystery and thunder and murderosity and war all the better.

The company was lovely, the eats good, the play and people watching prime. This is my favorite St. Louis thing, in a close tie with a cheeseburger at Blueberry Hill with good friends at an outside table on a nice night. I hope writing this doesn't jinx me or something.

I decided I don't really care if it makes me a total nerd: I am one of those weird people who gets a little too enraptured with beautifully worded metered verse. I jotted these lines on the only available paper in my bag (last month's bank statement) scrawling semi-feverishly with a pen that barely worked. Yes. I know. I don't know why I should find this revelation embarrassing; I've always found nerds sort of endearing.

Here you go:

Julius Caesar: "The skies are painted with unnumber'd sparks,
They are all fire and every one doth shine..."

Mark Antony (I think): "Mischeif, thou art afoot!"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, that is what you were scribbling like a mad woman. This often happens when I view a Shakespeare play, but I never realized just how many famous lines Julius Caesar has in it. And, the language is not only lovely, but so wise about human nature. It made me want to write papers, like on the marriages in the play, centered on Portia's speech to Brutus, which is a rather just and touching plea for closeness in marriage, until she goes psycho-maniplative with the whole wound-in-the-thigh bit. Another paper would be on Brutus the legalist. I saw a bit of myself, or how my self used to be more like, in his unrelenting quest for truth and honor, and his inability to understand human frailty and weakness. Yes, and Cassius is almost a different man in each half of the play. OK, enough analysis. I'll finish with a quote I like. And it was, indeed, a brilliant night with good food and friends.

"Forever, and forever, farewell, Cassius!
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then this parting was well made."

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home