14 August 2006

Kick up your heels.


"Obsessions with self-preservation
Faded when I threw my fear away
It's not a thing you can imagine
You either lose your fear
Or spend your life with one foot in the grave.
Is God the last romantic?" (over the rhine)

This weekend I attended a lovely celebration. Dusk fell over the neighborhood, the windows of the Wachsmuth urban homestead glowed, there was fried chicken and cheesecake. We stirred up the dust, kicked the hay bales and alamand-lefted like there was no tomorrow. That’s what I’m talkin about. Square dancing has definitely improved as I have aged. In case you were wondering, here's something interesting.

Also, on Saturday, I heard something happy.

Autumn is just a few thousand acorn plunks away (more specifically, 40 days). That deserves some good ol Pablo:
"Nosotros cantaremos con el vino fragoso
de la tierra: golpearemos las copas del Otono,
y la guitarra o el silencio iran trayendo
lineas de amor, lenguaje de rios que no existen,
estrofas adoradas que no tienen sentido."

("We'll sing along with the sharp wine
of the earth: we'll knock back the glasses of Autumn
and the guitar or the silence will go on briniging
love-lines, the languages of non-existent rivers,
well-beloved stanzas with no sense at all.") pablo neruda

12 Comments:

Blogger April said...

wish i could go to the show with you...sigh.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Linz said...

Uhm OTR baby!! Twice in one year seems to good to be true.

I'm there like swimwear.

And Way to post that song, it's easily my favorite set of their lyrics... way to steal my idea for a post...get out of my head, OUT.

:0

Loves,
Me.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Courtney Patch said...

Blueberry Hill AND over the rhine?! I don't think it gets any better than that:) Are we going?!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Linz said...

Court? Do you even have to ask? I've already bought our tickets.

1:43 PM  
Blogger angela said...

woo hooooo!

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very sorry I missed the square dancing. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

I too am looking very much to Autumn.

And, finally, concerning Pablo Neruda, have you seen the movie "Il Postino." He is a character in their. It is Italian and is a touching movie about amore and poetry. Very cool

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot believe how many times I mix up "their" and "there" whilst writing. And just the other day, I mixed up "whole" and "hole." Very disturbing.

10:33 PM  
Blogger angela said...

it's ok, i seem to have a permanent inability to learn basic ie-ei words,like perceive and piece...i still don't even know if these are correct..

1:06 PM  
Blogger Courtney Patch said...

yeah! Lindsey you rock:) I'm so excited!

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i before e, except after c or when sounding like "ay" as in neighbor and weigh. yes i still repeat that to myself when i'm spelling.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great links! Yea for Autumn and yea for square dancing... its always good to go back to my roots!
Tanya

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm officially declaring it unfair that I'm not 21.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home