30 October 2007

Prophetic Mission: Ezekiel

When Ezekiel sees the glory of the Lord, he falls facedown.

God gives him a scroll to eat. Words of lament, mourning, woe. Speak my words to Israel, God says. You are my watchman, you are to warn my people to turn from sin and to do what is righteous.

Sweet as honey, Ezekiel says as he eats the scroll.

Then the sound of rumbling (the beating of the wings of the living creatures)was around him as the spirit carried him away. He sat overwhelmed, unable to speak for seven days.

Ezekiel said: I went in the anger of my spirit, and the strong hand of the Lord was upon me.

Sweet as honey? I wonder about those words, thinking about the valley full of dry bones. God told Ezekiel to prophesy to the bones, to prophesy to the breath. These are the bones of the House of Israel, God said. These are the ones in their graves, without hope and without life because they have rebelled against the Lord.

Ezekiel told the bones that God would bring them back to life. Told the four winds to fill them with breath.

Sweet as honey. Redemption from exile. Forgiveness. Restoration.

God says: Then you will know that I am the LORD. Then you will know that I, the LORD, have spoken. Then you will know that I have done it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home