17 July 2008

Jara the self-memer memed me. Whatever that means.

Here are the rules:
1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.


Ok, here are 6 things, because one of them is a real long and humiliating story about myself:

1. I sometimes have premonitions, like dreaming things will happen and they do, or thinking of someone just before they call, or predicting marriages before people are even dating.
2. I have what Kristin calls "the angry fist", which comes out more in with people I know pretty well, and when I'm talking about injustice.
3. I really like it when people laugh really hard when they're telling their own funny stories. Or the opposite, people who can keep a straight face and be totally serious when everyone else is dying (eg. Brent Anderson and "i can't help it").
4. I'm really not the most coordinated person around...but sometimes I wonder if being left-handed has something to do with it? I regularly notice things designed for a righties, because they just feel awkward. Those sun shades that go in your car windshield are designed for right-handed twisty-folding, which makes me sit in my car...sweating, wrestling with those stupid shades like an idiot...or wrapping up extension cords or sound cables...it is backwards for us lefties!

Also working in a kitchen I've noticed that a lot of kitchen utensils are designed for righties--can openers & ice cream/dishing scoops that have thumb levers, food processors and other things with lock-in mechanisms like stand mixers.

5. I love browsing etsy because of things like this and this and this and even this. Just so weird.

6. I sometimes modify words to get the right feeling when trying to explain things... like "romantic-y" or "annoying-ish," which usually doesn't get me into too much trouble. But I recently tried to explain to some friends why evites sort of stress me out. It's stupid really...and the point of the story was that Myers-Briggs helped me understand that as an "INFP" I am more of a "feeling-perceiver" when it comes to social events, wanting to have the freedom to not go or go depending on how crazy busy the week has been and how I feel at the time of the event, not three weeks before. But as I explained it, I said to them: "I think it's my "P"-ness. I just don't want to be boxed in." Yes, yes I did. And I think it was significantly later (days, a week?) that I realized what I'd actually said. And not one of them laughed at me (they are too kind--I deserve to never live it down!). I realized later on that envisioning the word in my head (ie. "P"-ness) is not as effective as listening to what I was actually saying. Hee hee!!

On a funny side note, I'm apparently not the only one who has done this. In seminary-land sometimes we go a little overboard explaining things with Myers-Briggs letters. I recently heard a story about a guy (I have no idea who it was) who arrived like 2 hours late for a date, and when his date opened the door he went on to explain to her several times: "It's my "P"-ness, that's why I was late." He recognized the look of confusion (shock? horror?) on his date's face and realized what he was saying actually sounded like, and apparently literally fell down on the floor laughing outside her door repeating over and over: "It's my p-ness." Kills me.

Ok. I meme Amanda, Tanya, Heidi, Katy, April, Kristin and Jess, even though he won't do it.

7 Comments:

Blogger JaraBeara said...

oh i just laughed out loud. well. i hee heed out loud. love it. miss you friend.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

i took me a couple times reading this to understand why it was sooo funny!!! but when the light bulb came on i couldn't stop laughing!!!

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can I meme if I can stop laughing about P-ness? Shoot. I've read the story 3 times and laughed harder every time.
I promise to meme within the next week. ;)
P.S. The pancake neckless is way cool! Dang!

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. That was Heidi V.

5:43 PM  
Blogger april said...

haha! seminary-land.

what does etsy mean? i mean really. is it another mid-western term that actually means 'crap' or 'kitch' (i know that one from michiganders) or 'VBS craft'? maybe this hostile comment is really because i feel out of it when people say they like certain etsy things. so i missed the cool etsy/retro/chic/urbanoutfitters/loop memo. dammmmmit.

meme.

5:55 PM  
Blogger the kitchen gnomes said...

I adore this side of your many faceted self, probably because I'm mostly serious, most of the time and have a hard time laughing at myself when I do stupid things. So I'm happy to read that others appreciate your humor as much as I do!!!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

ooo...ooo...you picked me!!! I've been so busy exploring california that I haven't been keeping up on my blog reading!

I actually used the P-ness phrase to describe why Tanya and I sometimes had conflict..."It's her P-ness (as opposed to my J-ness)." I too was shocked when it first came out of my mouth!

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home